An exploration of the uses and misuses of the English language, including amusing signage, mind-boggling linguistic contortions, grammatical debates, etymological musings, and other forays of interest to those of us obsessed with this strange and often absurd language.

6.09.2009

It's French, silly!

I participate in a parenting message board, and I just saw a post in which someone referred to "hoping that his cold clears up toot sweet". Toot sweet! I'm somehow less offended by utter wrongness when it's kind of cute.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to hear someone explain why linking "toot" to "sweet" yields a synonym for "quickly".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we need more context. Is the rest of the post remotely clever, or does the poster have a history of cleverness? If so, this may be either a deliberate attempt at cuteness or a case of "I know I can't spell it so I'll go with the goofiest phonetic spelling I can muster."

    Or yeah, he's a moron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended to be clever. Oy.

    ReplyDelete