An exploration of the uses and misuses of the English language, including amusing signage, mind-boggling linguistic contortions, grammatical debates, etymological musings, and other forays of interest to those of us obsessed with this strange and often absurd language.

5.15.2009

Preview of coming annoyances

I believe I've stumbled across a trend: it's the misspelling of "sneak peek." Everywhere I look people are spelling it "sneak peak." I would love to find a legitimate explanation for it but there just isn't one. People can't spell, or don't understand how rhyming works, or how homophones work, or some combination of the three.

Or, least likely, they think it's an idiomatic expression about stealthy mountains. I think I'd prefer to believe that.

3 comments:

  1. homophones are tricky. you have to make sure to wind them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plane crashed into sneak peak. There were no survivors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think this is being perpetrated by the same people who think "hear, hear!" is actually "here, here!" As in, "Here, here! I've found the sneak peak!"

    ReplyDelete