An exploration of the uses and misuses of the English language, including amusing signage, mind-boggling linguistic contortions, grammatical debates, etymological musings, and other forays of interest to those of us obsessed with this strange and often absurd language.

5.14.2009

You & I

If you read this blog, chances are you are annoyed by the rampant misuse of the first-person pronoun in everyday speech. I now me am.

So, I was worried when I saw that the duet with Feist on the new Wilco record was entitled You & I. I desperately wanted it not to use "I" where "me" would be correct.

It is with great pleasure and admiration that I bestow the first official Lingua Franca Award (The Lingie Awards?) to songwriter Jeff Tweedy for lines such as:

You and I, I think we can make it.
Me and you, what can we do?

Congratulations, Jeff!

Honorable mention goes to Tom Petty for: You and me and the road ahead from The Last DJ.

If you'd like to hear the award-winning song, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment